Standards & Regulations
What is the difference between a standard and a regulation?
- A Rule that we must follow
- Rules that the Government makes under an Act
- Rules are made “real” and “enforceable” by the power that
the Government gives itself under an Act
- e.g. Health & Safety Act Regulation for Hearing Protection
- Not written by Government
- Are written by organizations such as CSA, ANSI, CGSB, etc.
- Typically refer to product performance or how to do a job
- Have no authority on their own, but may be adopted into regulations making them
- May be referred to specifically in a regulation or through a “General Duty
- Regulatory bodies may adopt all or a part of an existing standard
In the area of high visibility safety apparel there are also Work Wear Standards
and Work Wear Regulations. Click on the links below to find out more about the standards
and regulations that affect you.